We recommend that you ensure that the air duct system present in your home is clean and safe for you and your family. Regarding how often should ducts be cleaned, we recommend that you clean your air duct system every two to three years.
However, this value can change from time to time, as there are many factors you have to consider when making up your mind on when to clean the air duct system.
What Do We Mean by Air Ducts?
Air ducts are you are well aware of are the tubes connected to your HVAC model. The HVAC system ensures that air from the surrounding is pulled in, and the air undergoes cooling or heating, depending on the thermostat settings.
The HVAC system works to push air out of the vents and through the air ducts throughout your place. Regarding how often you clean the ducts, we recommend that you clean the air duct system regularly, as the air ducts tend to be an excellent spot for moulds and allergens, which could cause many problems.
Most HVAC technicians and professionals recommend that you conduct air duct cleaning at least every two to three years unless you’ve experienced some of the factors. We also advise that you have your air ducts cleaned during the cool months. As you are well aware, cool air doesn’t damage the air ducts as much as warm air.
Air Duct Cleaning
If you want the AC system present in your home to function appropriately, you must regularly clean and maintain the ductwork system. The AC system often cleans the ducts and also produces fresh air throughout your place.
However, over a specific time, grime and dust accumulate on the ducts, forcing the system to push air through the junk and, in the long run, could cause many problems, including air contamination. There are many factors you should consider before air duct cleaning. Such factors include:
- How well has the system been cleaned and maintained?
- The ductwork status
- The dust amount present in the air
- The age of the ductwork system and also the HVAC equipment
- You can find mould presence on the furnace or the AC unit in your home.
- Cooling and heating costs have increased
- Your home is always dusty. It doesn’t matter how much you dust or clean
- You have a brand new home, or your home has undergone extensive reconstructions or renovations recently.
Importance of Cleaning The Air Ducts
The air ducts tend to accumulate lots of dust and other particles over a specific time. Not only do the air ducts begin to look bad, but you also risk compromising your health as well as that of your family members. Over time, the particles could lead to health issues similar to allergies and asthma.
Additionally, if you don’t clean the air ducts regularly, they add contaminants to the heating system every day. The higher amount of contamination might damage your equipment over time. It is why you must clean the air ducts at least once in two or three years, depending on what factors apply to you.
If not well taken care of, dirty air ducts could compromise how well your HVAC unit functions as well as increase energy bills significantly.
Benefits of Regular Air Duct Cleaning
In terms of how often should ducts be cleaned, you should do it regularly. Down below are some of the benefits of regularly cleaning your air ducts:
- Regularly cleaning your air ducts provides a cleaner and better environment.
- Regular duct cleaning makes you spend less time cleaning and dusting.
- Even though no one in your family has any respiratory issues, it is still better that you breathe clean and fresh air.
- Regular duct cleaning means that flooring, bedding, and furniture will require very little maintenance.
- Those who have allergies or asthma tend to breathe easily as the allergens are significantly reduced throughout the duct system.
- Harmful microorganisms that include mould spores, bacteria, and mildew are not present due to regular duct cleaning.
- If you have pets, your homestead will smell good.
- Regular ductwork cleaning makes your HVAC unit system function efficiently, leading to fewer repairs, more significant life periods of cooling and heating unit systems, and lower energy bills.
- Contaminants manufactured from cleaning products and other materials are not present in the air, thanks to regular duct cleaning.
How Should You Perform Duct Cleaning?
Some of us tend to believe that cleaning the ductwork system by yourself is cheaper and easier than duct cleaning by a professional. You have to make sure that you have the necessary tools and equipment to do the job. In case you want to clean the ducts by yourself, you should be able to:
- Open doors or access ports to allow inspection and cleaning of the HVAC system.
- You shot be able to use vacuum tools to exhaust particles inside and outside of your home. Instead, you can use the high-efficiency particulate air vacuum equipment in case the vacuum exhaust particles inside the house.
- Ensure that you protect the household and carpet furnishings while conducting duct cleaning.
- To dislodge dust plus the other particles, you should use well-controlled duct brushing in conjunction with vacuum cleaning.
- Ensure that you use a soft brush for sheet ducts internally lined by fibreglass and duct board. You may clean a flex duct by using the air whip connected to the air compressor or soft-bristled brushes.
- Remove, clean, and finally reinstall all the vents and registers.
- Take care as you protect the ductwork system that includes re-insulating and sealing any access holes made or used by the service technician to make them airtight.
How Often Should Ducts Be Cleaned – Conclusion
For all of those asking how often should ducts be cleaned, it should be regularly depending on the above mentioned factors. Clean air ducts contribute to overall clean indoor air that creates a safe and comfortable space for living.
If you cannot clean the air ducts by yourself, you should schedule a call with an HVAC professional to assist you in cleaning the ductwork system.